Today, more people are considering dating for fun and not settling down. They like things like friends with benefits (FWB) arrangements and no strings attached fun (NSA). As this becomes more common and more accepted in the dating world, there is a lot that you will need to learn. Essentially, these relationships can be whatever you want them to be, which is what makes them so appealing. No two arrangements are the same, and everyone will have to figure out what “no strings fun” means to them.
What Is an NSA Relationship?
Typically, the NSA relationship meaning is just “no strings attached”. That could mean that you are just hooking up, or it could mean that you’re just going out on dates and not even having a sexual relationship. It’s up to the two people involved to determine the parameters of the NSA agreement.
Some people think that is kind of the opposite of what the NSA is all about, but the fact is that the best no-strings-attached arrangements have clearly spelled out guidelines and parameters and both partners are open and honest about their expectations. NSA dating isn’t for everyone, but it can be a great way to have fun without the strings, and it’s becoming much more accepted today.
Pros and Cons of NSA and FWB Arrangements
One of the biggest considerations in your decision will be the pros and cons of this type of nsa dating arrangement. Some people have a different idea of what to expect than others, but generally, you can add the following to your own pro/con list so that you can arrive at the best answer for your own relationship and dating needs.
The pros of NSA dating:
- Just that: no strings. You can have fun, no questions asked, and go back to your life. There’s no stress or pressure. Just a good time.
- It’s easy to find on dating apps today, making it easier for people to remain anonymous.
- You can remain anonymous or have a relationship completely outside of your real life.
- You won’t “let people down” or have expectations—everyone’s on the same page about what this is and what it isn’t.
The cons of NSA dating:
- You’re not getting emotionally involved. That means if you start to develop feelings, your FWB might just bail or decide to stop your arrangement.
- You aren’t going to find someone to spend the rest of your life with in these relationships, in most cases. Of course, if that’s not what you’re after, that doesn’t matter.
- You might not always agree with the boundaries of your partner.
- These relationships can get messy if one person gets too emotionally involved or if things don’t work out.
There is a lot to consider with this type of relationship, but these are some of the biggest points to keep in mind. To help ensure that you’re on the right track, let’s talk about some other helpful tips next.
No Strings Attached Relationship Rules
Bear in mind, of course, that NSA and ‘friends with benefits’ can sometimes be different arrangements entirely. You could have an FWB situation with your male friend, for example, while an NSA would typically involve a total stranger or someone new. With or without the emotional attachment and support is the main difference—which do you prefer?
- Always use protection and have the hard conversations about what happens if protection fails. No strings attached dating relationships aren’t designed for “oops” situations and no one wants to end up with an STD because of an irresponsible partner.
- If you get feelings, get lost. The minute someone gets emotionally involved in an NSA arrangement, it’s over. It either has to become a relationship or disappear, and most partners are going to prefer the latter.
- Make sure that you have boundaries in nsa sex and respect for your partners. If you’re going to have multiple partners, make sure that you have that discussion and that you’re both on the same page about that.
- Bring your fantasies to life and be as selfish as you want. This is the exact type of relationship for that, so make sure that you exploit it as much as you can. It’s a great place to explore and let loose where you might not normally.
- Keep the details to yourself. If you and your hookup buddy start getting too emotionally involved, it could mar the NSA nature of the relationship. Try to stay distanced and don’t share too much about your life. When you’re together, focus on being together.
- Always go home. It can be tempting to start sleeping over and leaving things at their place, but this is moving your NSA arrangement into dangerous territory. The best way to reiterate the casual nature of your relationship is to keep it casual by going home and sleeping in your own bed.
The fact that you can get everything that you want from a relationship without any commitment whatsoever is what makes an NSA relationship such an attractive option for many people today. This is your time to be selfish and have fun and as long as that remains your MO, you’ll have a great time. Just remember that this isn’t the same as traditional dating, and you shouldn’t treat it as such.
The Final Rule: If It’s Not Fun Anymore, It’s Not for You
It’s not that you have to have that brand new, excited feeling every time you see your hookup buddy. However, if you start to feel like you’re bored or even worse, like an old married couple, it might be time to say goodbye. NSA FWB arrangements are great for the people who want them, but you have to figure out how to keep them fun and light. That’s exactly what they’re for, after all, and when they start getting difficult or boring, both partners are going to suffer.
If you’re looking for a better way to have no strings fun without the hassles of a relationship, check out no strings attached dating arrangements for yourself. It could be the ideal way to get what you need without the rest of the mess.